I had a new grill delivered yesterday. Yes, in addition to the pellet grill and the Weber Kettle.
I used to love cod roe as a child, but have only prepared it myself a couple of times, and then only from ready-cooked roe, pressed and canned. I spoke to the fishmonger and he advised me to boil it for about 15-30 minutes, after which it should be firm enough to to slice and fry.
I met with my friend S at Peterborough, and we travelled down to London by train. We arrived at 1 New Change early, which gave us time to look around the shops, and then have a wander on the roof terrace. There we met and and two other old friends – a chum from University and his wife. The final two members of our party – again, a uni friend and her husband – were waiting for us at the bar, and we were soon seated.
Preparation time: less than 10 mins. Smoking time: 3 hours.
I’ve got family visiting tomorrow, so I have been smoking a brisket, while trying to tidy the garden. I was taking a break with a cuppa, when there was a knock on my back door. It was a neighbour who had just been shopping. She gave me a carrier bag, with a pork shoulder joint and a beef rib joint, as a thank you for the BBQ (and computer advice) I have been handing out recently.
Anyway, the UK manufacturer is selling a limited number of refurbished (but otherwise fine) Superfast Thermapens at half price (28.80, instead of 56 quid), on eBay, so I thought I would give people a heads up:
Cold. After trying the obvious, I took the cover off the business end, and we could see that although power was getting to the fan, the auger wasn’t going round. The only thing I could think of was that in the recent awful weather, my pellets had got damp, and seized the auger. The only question was had it just seized, or had I burned out the motor too.
After hesitating over how the device is going to connect to the outside world, I decided to abandon the idea of a WiFi shield, and bought a standard Ethernet Shield instead. The reasons for this were various.
It was dirt cheap, so I bought two, on the principle that while I had the Traeger going, I may as well fill the shelf.
Having the arduino control a relay.
One reason for this was that I felt I hadn’t progressed as far with playing with the kit as I had plannned; spending the day in front of a desk and computer for work, I hardly want to do the same in the evenings! Having the netbook working meant I could experiment with it on the sofa downstairs, while watching TV.