Have spent much of today in the garden, making sure it will survive my approaching holiday. The new bed is alive with lettuces and salad greens (and some very healthy-looking Pok Choi), and the last thing I want is it to die off if there is no rain.
The other beds all have soaker hoses buried, fed from a pipe that goes around the garden, and I have just extended this to the new bed. The pipe is normally fed from a pair of water butts, but they are almost empty at the moment. So for the two weeks I am away, I have set up a timed water feed from the mains, to come on for a while, every 3 days. I did have a cunning plan to use the timed mains water feed to simply top up the butts, using a ballcock valve – that way, the mains water would only be used if the butts were empty. But that is a level of complication I haven’t got time for at the moment.
I’ve just planted some replacement courgette plants, in the place of those I disastrously planted early, and I have just set up a second net of sugar snap peas, alongside – not an ideal position, as it is slightly shaded, but I had the plants, and it was the only place free to put them.
Alll I need to do now is plant out my tomato plants in grow bags, and set up their irrigation, but that can be a job for tomorrow.