The current version of my grill comes with this fitted, and it seems there are lot of people who are drilling the lid of their old models and fitting a part obtained from Weber’s spares dept, or similar. However this means drilling through steel coated on both sides with porcelain enamel. As a result many people choose not to drill, but merely place the thermometer loosely clipped in the top vent hole. As the top vent is usually used only to put out the grill (temperature is controlled by opening and closing the bottom vent), this isn’t too bad a compromise.
Month: July 2010
I had completely forgotten to get ingredients for a mopping sauce (to baste the meat), so I improvised with a base of vinegar, with a chopped onion in it and some lea and perrins for flavour. I then left the shoulder to smoke, basting it every 45 minutes.
The idea is this – you open a small can of beer, and pour off half of it (hopefully into a glass). You then place the half-full can in the centre of the roaster. You sit the chicken on top, so that the can goes into the chicken cavity. This means that the bird is upright, with the legs hanging away from the body, so everything cooks well, while the beer (or, in my case, cider) inside heats up and helps keep the bird moist from the inside.
Something I didn’t mention before is in preparation for this work, I naturally had to empty out the kitchen of everything – pots and pans, crockery, cutlery, appliances and groceries. I never realised that I had so much in the kitchen – I have two large portable shelf units in the lounge stacked high my bookcase is crammed with tins and packets, and my conservatory has 4 large storage boxes full of bits and bobs.
If you haven’t seen it, it is a puppet show for adults (adult topics and swearing) about the animals that live “behind the bins”. It is also very funny. We are currently half way through the first series of 8 episodes, but all episodes shown so far are available on iPlayer.
Subsequently, I tried ‘s suggestion of the fridge method, simply putting a jug of cold water with a few teabags in the fridge overnight. I found that this method worked well with both tea and roibus, and the resulting drink was nice and clear, and clean tasting.
They also do reglazing of existing glasses, and cheaper than Boots. However, I have decided to hang on to the (non-varifocal) specs I was thinking of getting reglazed as varifocal, as it seems such a waste – the lenses in them are still my prescription, as it is only the closeup/reading part of my eyesight that has changed.
The only problem with this plan is that I have been at it all day, solidly. Despite a couple of attempts to be distracted, it turns out that almost everyone else is too busy today to blog (thanks to Paul, though!).