I’ve got an appointment at my sleep clinic next week, so I thought I’d better download the data from my CPAP machine. Last time I did this was before my desktop got replaced with a Windows 7 64-bit machine, so I was hoping not to have any problems.
The software – DeVilbiss SmartLink – actually installed first time, without difficulties, and started correctly. It then told me I was on an old version (not surprising), and I did I want to upgrade? Of course I did – and that was my mistake.
The upgrade downloaded and installed, but when I tried to run it, it complained about not finding files in “Program Files”. Of course, the software, being 32 bit, was installed to “Program Files (86)”, and the previous version had known this. But the “new improved” version did not.
So I decided to uninstall it, and use the old version. No chance! No matter what I do, including uninstalls of the software, and the also-installed SQL Server Compact; physically clearing out files; clearing out the register etc., every attempt to install the original software fails, telling me “a more recent version is installed”.
I was about to abandon the desktop completely, and install it on an old laptop (which would be a short-term solution, but get me going), when I realised I can run virtual XP machines on this desktop. So while I am typing this, it is setting one up – will be interested if it works.
Have also dropped Devilbiss an email, detailing the problem.
The whole exercise of installing the software and dumping the data from my smart-card should have taken about 20 minutes. I am now past the two hour mark. Not amused.